Loleta, Table Bluff Reservation— 09/13/2021 —
Just before noon on September 13, 2021 a vegetation fire broke out at Table Bluff Reservation in Loleta. Wiyot Tribal employees and several Councilmembers were the first to respond. After calling 911, groups of Council members, staff, community members and neighbors used fire extinguishers, the Tribes emergency response vehicle, shovels, water and foam to reduce the fire spread until Loleta Volunteer Fire Department, CalFire, and the California Conservation Corps arrived. The fire was contained thanks to the combined effort. One Wiyot staff member was treated for smoke inhalation and is expected to recover. The Wiyot Tribe would like to thank everyone that helped today together we were able to contain the fire before it got to out of control. Late summer combined with drought conditions heightened fire danger. CAL FIRE urges Californians to be extremely cautious, especially during periods of high fire danger. It's important all residents and visitors take steps to prevent wildfires. One less spark could mean one less wildfire. See below for tips on preventing wildfires.
- Spark arresters are required in wildland areas on all portable gasoline powered equipment.
- Before starting a campfire, make sure you have a campfire permit and that they are permitted on the land you are visiting.
- Afterwards, ensure that your campfire is properly extinguished.
- Residents should make sure they have 100 feet of defensible space around structures.
- Clear dead weeds and vegetation.
- Remove leaves and needles from gutters.
- Trim branches 6 feet from the ground.
- Never pull over in dry grass.
- Ensure trailer chains don't drag on the ground.
- Make sure your vehicle is properly maintained.
- Have proper tire pressure to avoid driving on wheel rim.
- Never let your brake pads wear too thin.
- Make sure cigarette butts are properly extinguished.
- Never burn landscape debris like leaves or branches on NO Burn Days or when it's windy or areas where not allowed.
- Target shoot only in approved areas, and never at metal targets.
- Report any suspicious activities to prevent arson.