Rou Soulatlouy conversation book project
Due to COVID-19 precautions, in-person Rou Soulatlouy workshops are suspended until further notice.
ONLINE PARTICIPATION: We are trying out a new online tool called Padlet that allows anyone to comment on conversation topics we are already working on, or propose new topics to be included in the conversation book. Check it out below and let us know what you think!
VIRTUAL WORKSHOPS: please contact us if you would like to meet remotely using Zoom or Skype (we can buy a limited number of webcams for virtual meetings if you do not have one already): email@example.com
Conversation topics we brainstormed in recent workshops:
- NEW!!! Phrases for playing hide & seek in Wiyot! Download printable DRAFT conversation **with audio**!
- Pets & animals (so far we have only dealt with dogs; download printable DRAFT conversation)
- Weather (download printable DRAFT conversation)
- Sickness & health (download printable DRAFT conversation)
At our next several workshops, we’ll be offering up draft conversations based on the discussions we’ve had so far. Participants can help revise & improve what we have put together, as well as suggest new topics!
Below are some examples of how our workshop + research process works:
In some cases, we can find the exact Wiyot sentence you might want to learn (so we don’t have to reconstruct!). For example, in a recent workshop we talked about all the ways we might describe being sick, and searching our Wiyot data for words like "feel", "sick", etc. we found the following:
- Shouwa dulalhvi’yum? = ’How are you feeling?’ [DP-kt]
- Hilaqh gouts gou lalh. = ’I feel good today.’ [EB-gr]
- Gouts ya ka lalhvi’? = ’Don’t you feel good?’ [DP-kt] (click on the audio player below to hear Mrs. Prince say this sentence):